World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 139.1 million tonnes (Mt) in November 2022, a 2.6% decrease compared to November 2021.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.3 Mt in November 2022, down 11.4% on November 2021. Asia and Oceania produced 101.4 Mt, up 2.7%. The EU (27) produced 10.5 Mt, down 17.9%. Europe, Other produced 3.2 Mt, down 25.1%. The Middle East produced 4.0 Mt, up 11.6%. North America produced 8.9 Mt, down 6.3%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 6.5 Mt, down 24.6%. South America produced 3.4 Mt, down 14.3%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Nov 2022 (Mt)||% change Nov 22/21||Jan-Nov|
|% change Jan-Nov 22/21|
|Asia and Oceania||101.4||2.7||1,246.7||-1.7|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||6.5||-24.6||79.0||-19.6|
|Total 64 countries||139.1||-2.6||1,691.4||-3.7|
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Thailand, Viet Nam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 74.5 Mt in November 2022, up 7.3% on November 2021. India produced 10.4 Mt, up 5.7%. Japan produced 7.2 Mt, down 10.7%. The United States produced 6.4 Mt, down 10.5%. Russia is estimated to have produced 5.6 Mt, down 9.6%. South Korea produced 4.8 Mt, down 18.1%. Germany produced 2.8 Mt, down 17.9%. Türkiye produced 2.4 Mt, down 30.7%. Brazil produced 2.6 Mt, down 16.3%. Iran produced 2.9 Mt, up 3.9%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Nov 2022 (Mt)||% change Nov 22/21||Jan-Nov 2022 (Mt)||% change Jan-Nov 22/21|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
Notes to Editors:
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
- A subscription with access to the iron and crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to worldsteel on a monthly basis is available for €1,285 via the worldsteel bookshop. This subscription includes access to 20 years of data in the Steel Statistical Yearbooks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Information on capacity can be found on the OECD website.