December 2022 crude steel production
World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 140.7 million tonnes (Mt) in December 2022, a 10.8% decrease compared to December 2021.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.1 Mt in December 2022, down 8.9% on December 2021. Asia and Oceania produced 104.9 Mt, down 9.2%. The EU (27) produced 9.2 Mt, down 16.7%. Europe, Other produced 3.4 Mt, down 19.2%. The Middle East produced 3.7 Mt, up 0.4%. North America produced 8.8 Mt, down 9.9%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 6.2 Mt, down 28.4%. South America produced 3.3 Mt, down 3.8%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Dec 2022 (Mt)||% change Dec 22/21||Jan-Dec|
|% change Jan-Dec 22/21|
|Asia and Oceania||104.9||-9.2||1,351.3||-2.3|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||6.2||-28.4||85.2||-20.2|
|Total 64 countries||140.7||-10.8||1,831.5||-4.3|
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021.
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Pakistan, Taiwan (China), Thailand, Viet Nam
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Türkiye, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 77.9 Mt in December 2022, down 9.8% on December 2021. India produced 10.6 Mt, up 0.8%. Japan produced 6.9 Mt, down 13.1%. The United States produced 6.5 Mt, down 8.3%. Russia is estimated to have produced 5.5 Mt, down 11.3%. South Korea produced 5.2 Mt, down 11.6%. Germany produced 2.7 Mt, down 14.6%. Türkiye produced 2.7 Mt, down 20.0%. Brazil produced 2.5 Mt, down 5.2%. Iran produced 2.7 Mt, up 3.3%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Dec 2022 (Mt)||% change Dec 22/21||Jan-Dec 2022 (Mt)||% change Jan-Dec 22/21|
e – estimated. Ranking of the top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
2022 global crude steel production totals
Total world crude steel production was 1,878.5 Mt in 2022, a 4.2% decrease compared to 2021. Please see the Steel Data Viewer for the complete listing of annual production totals by country.
e – annual figure estimated using partial data or non-worldsteel resources.
* The world total production figure in this table includes estimates of other countries that only report annually.
Notes to Editors:
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.